Introducing NASEN Smart ID
NASEN Smart Card is a transaction/identification instrument, in the form of a plastic ID card, provided by NASEN to the cardholder so that he/she by accessing information systems network and based on the account associated with the card, may purchase goods or services, make payments, withdraw cash or conduct personal identification/verification.
NASEN Smart Card as token of identification: an individual’s signifier would be accessible from the database by a secured means which could be a device which can be used both on-line and off-line using an identification token, that is ‘identity card’ which would have a chip on it. This identity card would be of three functions e.g.
- Information storage
A card that has transaction capabilities as well as capability to support other non-payment activities e.g. storage of transaction and other personal data with secured linkage to a secured database with the associated biometrics and strong authentication characteristics.
This system would ensure that there is a unique way of identifying an individual anywhere in Nigeria and abroad, the system would have high integrity, confidentiality, be accessible and non-repudiating. It would be such that when you walk into a place and your identity is obtained from you, it should be possible to ascertain that you are who you say you are and this can be repeated
NASEN Smart card can be used on ATM machines, POS, Smart Card Readers and Barcode Readers.
NASEN Smart Card Objectives:
- To securely link with card holders’ bank account for financial functions.
- To securely link with NASEN Information Central Database for data logs and query.
- To serve as an offline identification instrument for all NASEN card holders
- To serve as a multipurpose verification medium for NASEN card holders
- To be generally usable on POS, ATM machines, Smart Card Readers and Barcode Readers.
- Guarantee the security and the confidentiality of information
- As a generally acceptable medium of identification amongst private and government agencies.
Sample of NASEN social Security Identity
Security Features of NASEN Smart Card
- Member’s photo: For facial identification during physical verification process.
- Chip: The chip (or microchip) embedded into the debit provides highly secured processing capabilities to carry out the card transaction. These include verifying that the correct PIN has been used. In addition to holding the same personal data as that on the magnetic stripe (i.e. cardholder name, card number and expiry date), the chip provides additional security features to guard against counterfeiting. The four digits of your PIN (personal identification number) are not held as a set of numbers on the chip.
- NASEN Social Security Number: A unique member’s identifier from the database. The “XXXX” is intended for personal secret code and should never be revealed to anyone
- Card Number: Generally 16 digits – this identifies your account, with the first six digits comprising what is known as the BIN (Bank Identification Number) and this identifies your card issuer and the card scheme.
- Expiry Date: Along with the card number, the card’s expiry date is essential to process a card payment.
- Name: The cardholder’s name is displayed at the bottom of the card.
- Magnetic Stripe: The magnetic stripe holds some of the same information as the chip. As practically all UKcards have a chip on them, the magnetic stripe now holds a small flag to specify that the card has a chip on it to assist in fraud prevention. The magnetic stripe is remaining on cards so that you can still use your card abroad especially in countries that have yet to implement Chip & PIN.
- ard Security Code (CSC): This three digit number on the signature strip gives the retailer another way to check that you actually have the physical card in your possession when you use your card to buy something on the phone or internet. (If you hold an American Express card, this will be four digits on the front of your card.)
- Card Number: this would indicate the card serial number which would be also unique to a card only.
- Computer Readable code for smart card readers.
- 3D Bar Code (QR Code): for basic members verification using mobile phones and other QR code reader. This is useful to verify members’ name and passport which appears on the NASEN Smart card
- Signature Panel.
Transaction Flow of NASEN Smart Card
1. ATM connects to the Transaction Processor and transmits card & transaction information and encrypted PIN.
2 & 3. Transaction Processor selects network based on the information encoded into the card and forwards the data through the network to the card holder’s financial institution.
4 & 5. Card holder’s financial institution decrypts the PIN information, debits the card holder’s account, and transmits the authorization though the same network back to the Transaction Processor.
6. The Processor transmits the authorization to the ATM, POS and other transaction medium.
The whole process of steps 1-7 takes approximately 8-13 seconds.
- Member’s transaction logs are retrieved and store at NASEN information centre through application API. This information may be used for transaction history and forensic functions.
We are aware of the present (NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD) being issued to Nigerians by (NIMC) and the authenticity, but considering the trust in terms of security, which NASEN needs to build amongst her members, a forensic identity is needed in this case; and if the Nigerian Identity Management Commission will carry out the process of producing NASEN social security identity, based on NASEN’s recommendation, we will be willing to collaborate with the commission.
What makes NASEN Smart ID more CREDIBLE?
- Any holder of NASEN Smart ID has passed through vivid personal and social screening.
- NASEN Smart ID would have a strong information system; ranging from the Individual’s bio-data, social security details, deep kinship information, affiliated financial institution’s information etc.
- Information would be directly stored in a highly secured central database server which cannot be altered or manipulated by self or any third party agents.
Why NASEN Smart ID cards?
One of the major goals of the Smart ID cards is the ability of genuine members of NASEN to tender it as means of identification wherever requested and whenever needed.
Personal means of Identity: The Smart ID cards shall have a stronger potency
than any of the national and International means of personal identification; it will also be more rooted and forensic than the National Identity card, International Passport etc for any member of NASEN.
For loan and credit grants: it shall be used for processing of grants, loans, financial
aid, and other benefits associated with NASEN.
A verification medium for accessing history logs of NASEN members at any
Check point for validation purposes.
NASEN smart ID Cards can be used to quarry members from any part of the world if need be through the use of computer and in line with NASEN polices.
The Entry Data Process
- Computer systems connected to high speed internet connection with other data capturing peripherals such as biometric scanners, face-camera etc, shall be made available at all NASEN registration offices.
- All applicant’s personal data and bio-data are collected and directly entered through NASEN custom built portal from any NASEN registration offices.
- Data would be collected and stored in the central database by an agent registering the applicant through a secured link to and fro a custom made registration portal
Data captured shall be verified and stored in the database for easy querying and other official uses.
The Storage & Encryption Process
All data collected through the custom built portal shall be encrypted by using a Transport Secured Layer with 256bits key (SSL/TSL 1.2, 256bits) of data security layer during data storage and retrieval.
The Storage: the procurement of a Virtual Dedicated database Server service shall be needed for smooth operation. This would drastically reduce startup cost compared to the cost of building and maintaining an in-premise machine.
The Capture/Retrieval Process
NASEN Smart ID Card Verification Flow
Members’ personal information on the database shall be made accessible to agents for official uses through one single channel.
Government agencies, banking institutions, embassies and other organizations who wish to adopt NASEN Smart ID system for verification purposes shall be duly registered as a verification agent with NASEN upon which a unique corporate verification ID and pass code shall be issued to such organization for NASEN’s internal administrative purpose.
For verification agents to successfully verify a NASEN member ID; the following steps would be involved;
- NASEM member tenders his/her ID card to the agent’s representative for official verification.
- A magnetic strip scanner would engage to scan through the smart ID card for membership code.
- The NASEN verification software installed on a client’s PC would automatically grab the membership code for querying against NASEN database.
- Member’s Information would be dynamically populated for official use.
NASEN Smart ID Hardware
Basic Hardware required at each registration office:
- Workstation PCs
- Biometric Scanner
- HD web cam
- Document Scanner